jeudi 24 mars 2016

One watt just not making it

I have retired the HW-8, probably indefinitely. No, the old girl is functioning OK, but her one watt cw to a low wire antenna just isn't enough any longer. No QSOs and only a couple close Euro reports on the RBN. With conditions only fair this past week...and likely to continue so, I really need the five watts my Argonaut 509 can deliver. The Argo or my K1. I had a 569 QSO with W1MK early this afternoon with the 509. He had his usual big signal. I think the full QRP "gallon" is going to be necessary from this QTH for the indefinite future. And, with the YL defibrillator and pacemaker implants, no question of going QRO.

Late evening, same day, worked TF3JB.

5 commentaires:

  1. Hello Dick, sometimes a few watts does nothing. An other time, 500 mW is more than enough. I go with the flow of the propagation. Just do what is necessary, but most of all, have fun. hi. 73, Bert

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Hi Burt. Well, I start at one watt on the Argonaut but go to 5 if necessary. 73 Dick

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Hi Dick, you have to keep in mind that conditions were very low this week, and it still is. That's why wspr is some kind of consolation. I hope your YL is recovering well. 73 Paul PC4T

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Good morning Dick, it's great that you have the other rig's to draw from and use. No need for QRO I am sure that as the power dial is raised above 1 watt a happy medium will be found between 1-5 watts. As Paul has said Julie and I thoughts are passed along to your YL.
    73, Mike

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Hi Paul and Mike. Yes, conditions were not favorable for my one-watter. I did go to five and used my K1 with more success. Brought out my FT-817 and quick-clicked between those pre-set power levels. Very handy. My YL is stable. Neither better or worse. Thank you for your thoughts. 73 Dick

    RépondreSupprimer